The Reverence for Life Ministry offers advocacy, education, and outreach in pro-life areas; in particular, in the areas of chastity, abortion and euthanasia. We are involved in educational programs, in caring for those facing pregnancy in difficult life situations and other challenges, and in working for appropriate laws to protect the lives of the unborn, the elderly, and other lives at risk.
Reverence for Life
“The Catholic Church proclaims that human life is sacred and that the dignity of the human person is the foundation of a moral vision for society. This belief is the foundation of all the principles of our social teaching. In our society, human life is under direct attack from abortion and euthanasia. The value of human life is being threatened by cloning, embryonic stem cell research, and the use of the death penalty...Catholic teaching also calls on us to work to avoid war. Nations must protect the right to life by finding increasingly effective ways to prevent conflicts and resolve them by peaceful means. We believe that every person is precious, that people are more important than things, and that the measure of every institution is whether it threatens or enhances the life and dignity of the human person.” USCCB
St. Mary’s Reverence for Life ministry is always open to receive new members. If you are interested in how you can help defend all stages of life, especially the most helpless, voiceless and innocent, we welcome you. Please contact Joe at [email protected]
40 Days for Life Prayer Vigil
40 Days for Life is an internationally coordinated 40-day campaign that aims to end abortion locally through prayer and fasting, community outreach, and a peaceful all-day vigil in front of abortion businesses.
PRAYER & FASTING
Prayer keeps us rooted in the fact that it is our desire to carry out God's will. Fasting is a sacrifice that helps us reach beyond our own limitations with God's help.
Each day during 40 Days for Life, we join together in prayer for a specific request united around a common focus. People of faith are also invited to fast throughout 40 Days for Life. We believe that when God's people fast with a broken, repentant and contrite spirit, our heavenly Father will hear from heaven and heal our lives, our churches, our communities, our nation, and our world.
The visible, public centerpiece of 40 Days for Life is a focused, 40-day, non-stop, round-the-clock prayer vigil outside a single Planned Parenthood center or other abortion facility in your community.
It is a peaceful and educational presence. Those who are called to stand witness send a powerful message to the community about the tragic reality of abortion.
Prayer Warriors Needed
40 Days for Life prayer vigil to end abortion continues through Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020.
Prayer volunteers are needed. 40 Days for Life asks for volunteers to pray for one hour in front of an abortion clinic in our own neighborhood. It puts into action a desire to cooperate with God in the carrying out of His plan for the end of abortion in America and the world. Over 17,000 babies’ lives have been saved through the prayers of people praying at a 40 Days for Life vigil. Please consider joining us for an hour of prayer this year.
Reverence for Life Resources
Crisis Pregnancy Resources
- Avenue Women’s Center and Waterleaf Women’s Center both provide education, resources, and support to women (and men) facing unexpected pregnancies in the western Chicago metro area. Avenue has been serving women and men since 1981. Both of their staff are trained to understand the issues and provide life affirming options and support.
- Avenue Women’s Center, Darien.
Text: (630) 455-0300 Call: 630-382-8149
Web address: avenuewomenscenter.com
- Waterleaf Women’s Center, Aurora.
Text: 630-360-CALM (2256) Call: 630-701-6270
Web address: waterleafwc.org
- Project Rachel operates as a network of healing, composed of specially-trained caregivers which include priests, mental health professionals, spiritual directors and medical personnel. They provide direct care to women, men and adolescents who have been touched by an abortion loss enabling them to grieve, receive forgiveness, and find peace. For confidential help call 888-456-HOPE (888-456-4673).
Pro-Life Activism and Education
- The Pro-Life Action League, founded in 1980 in Chicago and has become the recognized national leader in dynamic, effective pro-life activism. Their website provides the practical activities to save babies from abortion in our community, along with the training and tools we’ll to be the most effective. prolifeaction.org
- LifeNews.com is an independent news agency devoted to reporting news that affects the pro-life community. The topics covered by LifeNews.com include abortion, assisted suicide and euthanasia, bioethics issues such as human cloning and stem cell research, campaigns and elections, and cultural legal and legislative issues as they affect the pro-life community.
- The National Catholic Bioethics Center, established in 1972, conducts research, consultation, publishing and education to promote human dignity in health care and the life sciences, and derives its message directly from the teachings of the Catholic Church. ncbcenter.org
- National Right to Life: the mission is to protect and defend the most fundamental right of humankind, the right to life of every innocent human being from the beginning of life to natural death. nrlc.org
- Students for Life transforms culture by recruiting, training, and mobilizing pro-lifers to abolish abortion. They launch and support Students for Life groups in colleges, high schools, middle schools, law schools, and med schools throughout the nation to educate other young people about the violence of abortion, create new pro-lifers, and transform campuses into places that support pregnant and parenting students. studentsforlife.org
- Human Life International is the world’s largest global pro-life apostolate, with an active network in over 100 countries. hli.org